The latest ballot for stays at A House for Essex has now closed.
Sign up to our newsletter to get updates on future A House for Essex ballots, and other news from Living Architecture.
A House for Essex accommodates up to 4 people
- NB. this includes a maximum of two children (over the age of 10 years)
- There are 2 double bedrooms (one bedroom can be made up with twin beds)
The interior of the house contains a number of specially commissioned art works by Grayson Perry including beautiful tapestries, ceramics, decorative timberwork and mosaic floors. Please note the artworks are alarmed with the latest security technology, and monitored by CCTV. The cameras are focussed only on the artworks and do not cover the communal living areas.
A series of spaces that become increasingly formal – including entrance hall, dining/ kitchen area and a double-height living room, lined with decorative timber panelling and richly coloured tapestries, details of some can be found here.
There are two bedrooms and a bathroom. The upstairs rooms have views across the landscape to the east and west, and (from the bedrooms) balconies overlooking the living room.
The following are provided for your holiday:
- Kitchen appliances – cooker with electric hob, grill and oven, microwave oven, dishwasher, fridge and freezer.
- David Mellor kitchen equipment - including DM kitchen knives, chopping boards, sieves and colanders, graters, whisks, tongs, cooking utensils, a range of DM saucepans (suitable for the induction hob), food blender, scales, mixing bowls, a rolling pin and pastry brush, glassware (tumblers, wine glasses, champagne flutes), DM cutlery (including children's cutlery), a tea pot, cafetiere and mugs.
- Washing machine and condenser dryer (plus an iron, ironing board and airer, but please bring detergent).
- REN skincare individual shampoo, bath & shower gel and hand soap.
- Peter Reed high quality Egyptian cotton bed linen.
- Luxurious hand towels and bath towels.
- Luxury hypo-allergenic pillows and duvets (to ensure that everyone, including those with allergies, have a comfortable stay; but please note we do not have the storage space to also provide feather duvets and pillows).
- A few food items to get you started in the kitchen, some: tea bags, coffee, semi-skimmed milk, bread and salted butter.
- Some basic household items, some: bin bags, washing up liquid, kitchen roll, hand-wash, dishwasher tablets, foil and loo paper.
- A library of books and CDs to use in the house, all from Julie’s collection
- Television (with Freesat and internet) and DVD player (do bring your own DVDs to play)
- Music- CD player with MP3 connectivity; radio is available via the TV
- Wi Fi internet connection (which you can access if you bring a laptop, but please note that, due to its location and for reasons beyond our control, internet access can be intermittent).
- Arrival/ Departure: you will be sent detailed arrival information before your stay. Arrival is after 3pm and departure by 10 am.
- Underfloor heating throughout the ground floor of the house, along with radiators in the bedrooms and bathrooms. There are additional heaters behind the seating in the living room, adjusted by local thermostat, and there is a starter fuel log (if you wish to use the fire in the living room and dining room).
What's not provided:
- Beach towels.
- Landline telephone. Please note that, due to its location and for reasons beyond our control, mobile reception can be intermittent.
- High chair and travel cot (NB. children under 10 years are not permitted at A House for Essex)
- Additional logs for the fire (but these can be bought locally if desired).
- We are sorry but (due its location and interior) we do not accept dogs at A House for Essex
- However, one well-behaved dog (who respects and loves modern architecture) is welcome at The Dune House and The Shingle House, both situated on beaches, for an additional charge of £20 per booking